What is Wheat Grass?
Yes, it's grass. We'll get that out in the open right away. First experimented with by Charles F. Schnabel, an agricultural chemist, when he used the grass to nurse dying hens back to health. Not only did they recover, but produced eggs at a higher rate than his other chickens. Related to the common wheat plant, it's sold as a plant, tablets, juice or powder concentrate. The juice loses it's effectiveness quickly so most prefer to buy the plant and juice themselves or put the plant directly into their smoothies. Indoor wheat grass takes 8-14 days to grow.
Why Should I be Ingesting Wheat Grass?
- 1 tsp. of wheat grass powder is nutritionally equal to an entire spinach salad weighing 50 grams.
- Wheat grass juice is 70% Chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is anti-bacterial, rebuilds the bloodstream improving red blood cell count, high in magnesium, increases hemoglobin production, repairs tissue, washes drug deposits from the body, neutralizes toxins, purifies the liver and improves blood-sugar issues. (American Journal of Surgery, Benjamin Gruskin, MD.) Dr. Birscher, a research scientist, called chlorophyll a "concentration (of) sun power." He said, "Chlorophyll increases the function of the heart, affects the vascular system, the intestines, fertility and the lungs."
- A small amount of wheat grass in the diet prevents tooth decay and Pyorrhea of the mouth. Holding the juice in your mouth for 5 min. will help with toothaches and pulls toxins from the gums.
- 30 mls of fresh squeezed wheat grass juice is the equivalent in nutritional value to 1 kg of leafy green vegetables.
- Keeps hair from graying.
- Improves digestion.
- Great for all kinds of blood disorders.
- High in enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme), Transhydrogenase (strengthens heart muscle) and Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in body cells and is known for it's ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging).
- Dissolves any scars that have formed in the lungs from acid gasses or carbon monoxide.
- Great for constipation.
- Reduces high blood pressure and enhances the capillaries.
- More vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots.
- Contains 19 amino acids.
- Removes heavy metals.
- High in oxygen. The brain and all body tissues function at an optimal level in a highly-oxygenated environment.
- Takes only minutes to digest.
- Restores sex hormones for increased fertility.
- Chlorophyll can be extracted from many plants, but wheat grass is superior because it has been found to have over 100 elements needed by man.
How do I Eat Wheat Grass?
Wheat grass is cut just above the sprout. It can be put in smoothies or juiced. There are juicers specifically for juicing wheat grass, but a single or double auger style juicer will work as well. You can drink it straight from the juicer but there are a few places that sell frozen wheat grass juice. You can also freeze the cut grass in freezer bags, but I don't recommend thawing before tossing it in your smoothie, it will turn to a sludgy mess. Just throw it in frozen, you'll never even taste it.
Where do I find Wheat Grass?
Just about any grocery or health food store will have the live plant variety. I bought a large bag of cut, frozen wheat grass at my local health food store for about $5.00 and it will last me for at least a few months.
It can be purchased in powder and frozen juice from select heath food stores. You'll want to call your local store first to see what they have to offer.
What is Wheat Grass?
Jen has been doing triathlon for four years. She is a member of the TriEdge Triathlon Team and the GOALØ Ambassador Team. She's also a former bobsled pilot for America Samoa and has a passion for the outdoors. At home she is a wife to a cyclocross obsessed husband and mother of three girls, but here at TRIEDGE, she is an author, Managing Editor and token chick.
Latest from Jen Hamilton
- Outstanding Paratriathletes Crowned National Champions in Austin
- Inaugural Golden Gran Fondo Brings Road Cycling Back to Greater Denver Foothills on June 23
- Orca Alcatraz Challenge Swim Athletes Survive Harsh Weather
- Gear Review: COBB Cycling Gen2 Saddle- by Brittany Rodrigues
- TriUtah Women of Steel- 2013